Sunday, July 18, 2010

One Year & Quick Trip to Poznan, Poland

It has been too long since I have last updated! I even cheated last update and had my husband -- Justin -- update for me!

Speaking of him -- today is actually our one year anniversary! I can't believe its been one year already! I love him more and more each day -- even when I am away. :) Here is a picture below just to celebrate the occasion:



This weekend I had the good shift change, from morning shift to evening shift. This means I have a full 48 hrs off before going back to work on Monday. To take advantage of the extra time, my coworker, Liz, and I went to a town about 2.5 hrs away - Poznan.


Poznan is Poland's 5th largest city, and an important center of trade and industry. They also have a famous billy goat legend, that now serves as their town symbol. To sum up the legend of the billy goats -- a famous town chef was cooking for prestigious members of the community, but was not paying attention and completely burnt the main dish. He found two billy goats, and planned to substitute them as the roast, but unfortunately, he was distracted again and the billy goats wandered towards the prestigious guests. Instead of being mad, the guests broke out in to laughter, and these goats are now a symbol of the town. Every day at noon, the goats pop out of the town center clock.

The town square in Poznan was a very busy center with many restaurants, museums, fountains, outdoor seating, and lots of music. We stopped by on Saturday night to see the area, and saw two small concerts and almost could not get a seat regardless of the numerous restaurants with outdoor seating. Below is a shrunken version of my panoramic picture of one side of the square.


Sunday morning we did a few of our own made-up walking tours. We had the chance to hear music from an accordion player, as well as a marching band. Poznan is also a place of many churches and cathedrals. The first cathedral in Poland was built in Poznan and is pictured below:


It was a quick 24 hr trip to a very neat city - according to Pope John Paul II and many Polish people, Poznan is the city where Poland started. Here are a few more pictures below from our trip. I will aim to update more often! :)


In the square near a traditional Polish food restaurant
.
Fountain Character

 Memorial for riots against communism in 1956


One more cool panoramic picture of the Stary Rynek :)



1 comment:

  1. Oh come on I was so looking forward to a video clip of pop out billy goat clocks! Way to drop the ball Meagan ;)

    And happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete